Financial Support for 16-18s

You may be eligible for financial support if you’re aged 16-18 at 31 August 2016 and studying towards a full-time government funded further education qualification. To see if you qualify, see the table below:

  Guaranteed Bursary Discretionary Student Support Free Student Meals
The different types of offer available (depending on circumstances) Up to £1200 worth of funding and you can apply for 1 or more of the following:
  • Smart Card
  • Meals
  • Bursary
Help with travel to & from College if you live 1.5 or more miles from the campus you attend

Help with the costs of accommodation if you have to study away from home because the course is not available in your local area and you are studying towards your first full level 2 or 3 qualification
Lunch for the days that you attend College
Am I eligible? In care, including unaccompanied asylum-seeking children, or leaving care

OR In receipt of Income Support or the equivalent Universal Credit (UC)

OR Disabled and in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC) and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance or Income Support

OR Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC)

OR Council Tax Reduction/ Support or Housing Benefit

OR Pension Credit (guaranteed only)

OR Working Tax Credits 2016/17 (2015/16 must show income less than £30,810)

OR P60 end of year certificate for 2016 (must show income less £30,810) & Council Tax statement

OR An unwaged dependant of any of the above


Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance

OR Income Support

OR Income based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

OR Pension Credit (guaranteed only)

OR Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

OR Working Tax Credit run-on (- paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

OR Universal Credit (UC)

What do I need to bring? If you are In Care or a Care Leaver:

Written confirmation from the relevant local authority confirming Looked After or Care Leaver status


If you receive an eligible benefit in your own right:

A photocopy of all pages of a Job Centre Plus letter dated from March 2016

A photocopy of all pages of a Job Centre Plus, Department for Work and Pensions letter dated from March 2016

OR A photocopy of all pages of a Working Families Tax credit Award Notice 2016/17*

OR Two P60s for April 2016 (income less than £30,810) and a council tax statement showing the number of adults living in the household.

OR If one parent or carer in the household does not work and is not in receipt of an eligible benefit they should provide two months recent bank statements
A photocopy of all pages of a Job Centre Plus, Department for Work and Pensions letter dated from March 2016

*Please note: we are unable to accept your Tax Credit Annual Review Notice

How do I apply?

Please apply as early as possible to ensure funding is in place before the start of your course. Download and complete the application form below and return to:

Careers Team
Blackpool & The Fylde College
Bispham Campus
Ashfield Road

Contact us

Our student advisers are here to help with all aspects of funding. Contact us on T 01253 504496 or E

Explore the College

Accommodation: Finding the right place to live

Information, advice & guidance to help you make informed choices & build your skills to gain employment.

College Life: Offering you a full student experience

Financial Support: Could you be eligible?

Illuminate Training Solutions: The commercial training & employer arm of B&FC

Results: B&FC is England’s highest performing large general further education college

The University of Salford
European Structural and Investment Funds
Council for Independent Education
Cumbria and Lancashire Network for Collaborative Outreach
European Social Fund
Lancaster University
Disabled Confident
The Queen’s Anniversary for FE and HE

© Copyright Blackpool and The Fylde College, 2017