Skip to main content

Exams & Achievements - Certificates & Results

Further education courses (and non-University higher education) - results and access to exam scripts

Results day

Level 3 and T Level - Thursday 15 August 2024
Level 2 - Thursday 22 August 2024
GCSE - Thursday 22 August 2024


Your results will be emailed to your B&FC student email account. You are also welcome to come in and collect your results in person from the Reception Area at Bispham Campus from 8.30am on results day. If you have any queries regarding accessing your results, please contact the main switchboard on 01253 352352 and ask to speak to the Exams Team.


Enquiries about results

If you feel that any of your individual unit marks are below what you realistically expected, there are various Post-Results Services available to you, depending on the qualification you have completed. We ask that you first speak to your tutor to clarify which (if any) service is available to you and before deciding whether or not to proceed.

Please bear in mind that marks can go down as well as up and there may be charges depending on the qualification awarding body and the service requested.


Academic Appeals

The college offers a formal procedure of appeal against assessment decisions to ensure that students can be satisfied that assessments have been carried out fairly and assessment board decisions also made fairly and in the full knowledge of the relevant circumstances of the student.  Full details of this process are contained within the college's FE Appeals Against Assessment Decisions Policy.

Details of individual awarding bodies can be found here. If your awarding body no longer exists, please refer to the following government website where you will find information on what to do next on


Access to exam scripts

In some cases it may be possible to request your original exam script.  All requests for Post-Results Services must be made via the Achievements Office and payment made at the Student Administration/Reception Desk before any request can be processed with an awarding body. 

We advise that you discuss such requests with your tutor before proceeding.


Degree-level courses - results and transcripts

For all enquiries surrounding assessment or exam results on HE courses, please visit our dedicated page on Higher Education Taught Award Regulations and refer to document B9 - Academic Appeals.

  • No charge will be levied for first replacement academic transcripts originally issued prior to June 2011
  • A charge of £20 will be levied for replacement academic transcripts issued between June 2011 and June 2016.
  • From June 2016 Blackpool and The Fylde College and Lancaster University students have been provided with a HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report) instead of a transcript, this can be accessed via Gradintelligence.

For further information or to request a transcript:


For Blackpool and The Fylde College and Lancaster University programmes only. Students who have studied with other awarding bodies should contact them directly.
Availability of certain transcripts cannot be guaranteed.

Unless you wish to pick up your transcript personally, all transcripts are posted, 2nd class, free of charge anywhere in the UK however for international delivery an additional charge of £10 is required. Requests for transcripts to be delivered by recorded delivery in the UK will be charged at £4.50.


Certificates (all courses)

Certificates will be posted to the address held on our College database. It is a student’s responsibility to ensure the College holds up-to-date information on their personal records.

You can update your details at any of the main reception points (across all campuses), or by contacting the Achievements Department:



Collecting certificates

If you would prefer to collect your certificate in person, you can do so by visiting the Achievements Office at our Bispham campus (room B002). Contact us on 01253 504177 to arrange collection.  Please make sure to bring a form of ID with you.


What to do if your name is spelt incorrectly on your certificate

Any certificates with incorrect spellings would need to be returned to the Achievements Department, which would then be sent back to the Awarding Body with an amendment request. Awarding Bodies will not re-issue a certificate without the return of the incorrectly spelt one. It can take approximately 3-4 weeks for a replacement to arrive.

Please return the certificate to the Achievements Office with a covering letter explaining details of the incorrect spelling. Depending on the nature of the spelling change (for example if any of your names have changed completely), you may need to supply evidence when returning your certificate for amendment (photocopy of passport, driving licence, marriage certificate, deed poll etc).


What to do if you have lost your certificate

If you have lost your certificate, it will cost approximately £40 to gain a Statement of Results or a replacement certificate (costs vary by awarding body).
The College is unable to provide replacement certificates. These can only be obtained directly from the appropriate awarding body.  For further details, see here.


Contact us

If you have any questions or concerns regarding results and certificates, please contact the Achievements Office on:
Call: 01253 504177