Specialist Practitioner - Functional Skills
Originally from Sefton, Liverpool, Thomas lives in Fleetwood with his wife, step-son and daughter. He has worked at several colleges across Lancashire and now works for B&FC, delivering Functional Skills to its apprentices.
Thomas’s main area of expertise is English, however he is proficient in delivering maths and ICT up to level 2 as well. He really enjoys delivering these subjects, seeing them as a prerequisite for all other aspects of work and learning.
He cites the key to his success as focusing on what students can’t do as opposed to covering the skills they already know. He believes this helps to maintain focus, engagement, motivation and timely progress.
For Thomas, the aim is to progress students towards their exam but also, to strike a balance between work and enjoyment. This he achieves through planning, setting clear aims and offering a variety of activities during each session.
Courses I Teach
Qualifications and Accolades
• Quality Teaching & Learning Skills (QTLS) Status
• Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL - 120 hours)
• Training Assessment Quality Assurance (TAQA) Award
• Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE - For a Lifelong Learning Sector)
• Preparing to Teach in a Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS)
• Master’s Degree (MA): Sociological Criminology & the Criminal Justice System
• Combined Honours Degree (BA): Social, Historical (including Literary Studies)
I have a very functional skills-orientated background. Most of my previous roles have been functional skills related and English orientated. My area of expertise is English (and sociology) but I have picked up maths and ICT along the way.
B&FC is the best college in the country, need I say any more?! The overall success rate of 92% is fantastic and an inspiration to me.
“Blackpool and The Fylde College is a fantastic place to be, work and be associated with. The facilities are superb and the staff have been brilliant.”