Programme Leader Musical Theatre
Michael studied at the Royal Scottish Academy and while in training worked on large scale productions with the RSC and RSNO.
His directorial credits are extensive and include: West Side Story at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom; Anything Goes and Carousel at the Blackpool Grand Theatre; Kiss Me Kate at the Blackpool Winter Gardens. He has also directed shows at the Edinburgh Fringe and in Manchester as well as showcases at The Soho Theatre, London.
Michael’s specialisms are in realism and naturalism. Currently undertaking an MA in Making Performance, he intends to pursue extended research in the ensemble in musical theatre, an area for which he has a passion.
Michael cites his proudest achievements as the scores of students who are now successfully pursuing professional careers in the performing arts as a result of their time spent at the Blackpool and The Fylde College.
• acting for musical theatre
• Stanislavsky and psychophysical approaches to acting
• chorus and the ensemble
• direction for commercial stage (musical theatre and acting)
• MA Making Performance – Edge Hill University
Courses I Teach
Qualifications and Accolades
• PGCE – Blackpool and The Fylde College
• BA Acting – Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
• Researcher and Consultant for Assembled Junk, James Baker Productions and Roberts & Day
• Specialist Acting Coach for professional actors in TV and film
• Assistant Director for YMT: UK and LionHeart Productions
I combine teaching with professional activities such as specialist acting coaching, facilitating workshops and consultancy work.
Training for a BA (Hons) Musical Theatre at Blackpool and the Fylde College does exactly what it says: it trains performers in musical theatre - three disciplines, five days a week, on your feet, exploring the subject in depth. It’s intensive, it’s detailed and it delivers on the promise to train students in this incredible subject.
“I’m gonna show you how great I am!” – Muhammad Ali