Karen’s relationship with B&FC began when she attended an open day here, whereupon she knew this was where she wanted to study. Then began four happy and informative years, during which time she has an opportunity to gain invaluable work experience in beautiful locations such as the Lake District and Switzerland.
Karen eventually left College to manage a licensed restaurant and later progressed to a role working for Lancashire Country Council. It was at this point she decided she wanted a new challenge and looked to education.
She had kept up-to-date with her training at the College so she took on a few part-time teaching hours while still working for the council. She enjoyed the experience so much that she applied for a full-time position and has now worked at the College for 11 years.
• cake decoration
Qualifications and Accolades
• 1987: City & Guilds 707/2 – Food and Beverage Service (Awarded Savoy Trust Silver Medal)
• 1989: City & Guilds 706/3 – Kitchen and Larder
• 1989: City & Guilds 706/3 – Patisserie and Confectionery
• 2002: Advanced Food Hygiene RIPHH
• 2003: City & Guilds Key Skills – Communication, Level 3
• 2004: B Unit – Psychology OCNW
• 2004: City & Guilds 7307 Certificate in Teaching Adults and FE
• 2004: Infection Control ASET
• 2005 Safety Compliance ASET
• 2006 A Units OCNW
• 2007 Certificate of Education, Lancaster University
• 2008 Key Skills Practitioner, Warwick University
• 2009 City & Guilds NVQ level 2 ITC
• 2009 CIEH Principles of Risk Assessment, Level 3
• 2011 City & Guilds Level 2 Mathematics
• 2011 City & Guilds Level 2 English
• 2014 Slattery’s Chocolate Display Course
My career has encompassed working in high quality hotels, managing a licensed restaurant and working for Lancashire County Council in a variety of roles.
• working with students and industry partners (Greenhalgh’s, Ireks, Rowleys)
• coaching the Bakery Team for ABST competitions
• undertaking professional courses at Ireks (Germany), Slattery’s Chocolate and Sugarcraft (Manchester) and Northcote Manor (Lancashire)
• attending Sugarcraft guild demonstrations
I feel in a privileged position as I studied here and am now working for B&FC. The learning environment and resources suit the needs of students and industry alike, as you are training for a career not just completing a course.
The teaching staff are passionate about their subject and inspire their students to be the best they can be. Why would you go anywhere else?
“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure.” - Colin Powell