Carolyn is a qualified further education (FE) teacher and also a qualified early years practitioner.
She has worked in the early years and health and social care sector for over 14 years and has been teaching in the lifelong learning sector since 2008. She began her teaching career in the adult learning community before moving on to Blackpool and The Fylde College.
Carolyn is an active member of the #UKFEchat team on Twitter and has contributed to all three #UKFEchat guide books.
Early years education and health and social care.
Qualifications and Accolades
• BA (Hons) Education and Professional Studies
• Foundation Degree Early Years
• Professional Certificate in Education (PCE)
• D32/33 NVQ Assess
• NNEB Diploma
• contributed to three EBooks for the FE sector -
• article published in the TES -
• awarded JISC Further Education’s Top 50 Social Media Users to Follow - https://www.jisc.ac.uk/news/further-educations-top-50-social-media-user…
I have significant experience of working in both the early years and health and social care sectors. I worked for Barnardos and United Response within a residential setting, caring for children and young adults with disabilities. My job role was a residential social worker with keyworker responsibilities.
My experience in childcare has been within a 150-place nursery with breakfast and afterschool clubs attached. I started as an early years practitioner within this setting, later progressing to manager. During this time I also trained to be a qualified assessor and assessed students undertaking NVQ levels 2 and 3 in childcare.
• grassroots staff development
• engaging in education conferences (such as BETT - https://elearningindustry.com/elearning-events/bett-2016 Northern Rocks - https://northernrocks2016.wordpress.com/ Lead Learn Lancs - https://leadlearnlancs.wordpress.com/ to network with other educational professionals. Also see my personal blog for further information - https://myfethoughts.wordpress.com/
• member of the Education Training Foundation (ETF) PAG group, where I have attended several workshops to help develop the ETF and the Society for Education and Training (SET)
My own experience of studying at B&FC (for my NNEB Diploma and my PCE) was very positive so I can personally recommend studying here.
My favourite quote is one by William Butler Yeats: “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.”