When referring to further education, young adult carers are those up to the age of 25 who care, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, cannot cope without their support.
Further Education and apprenticeships
Prior to entry to College
- visits to college and offer of additional college taster sessions
- offer of small group enrolment
- meetings arranged with key internal and external teams to complete non-academic assessments
On entry to College
- Employability Coach to support at enrolment where requested
- access to appropriate support and the development of an individual support plan
While at College
- Help with student support funds application/s via the Employability Coach (can we link to EC page in website please)
- Via student agreement; contact made with the relevant organisations such as Carers Trust, or Empowerment (websites) to establish a working link with external support, e.g. key worker, social worker
- Action planning to ensure clear expectations of course requirements
- link with Progress tutor and Senior tutor to ensure awareness of the needs of the student
- ongoing support, which may include a weekly link, check on attendance and direct links with progress tutors to ensure a 'team around the student' approach
- Referral and link to specialist internal and external support agencies as required
SUCCEED – if you’re studying a degree-level course
SUCCEED is specifically for Care Leavers, carers and students who do not have contact with their families, who are studying at degree level.
Through SUCCEED, these students can access:
- £1,000 bursary for each year of study
- dedicated Higher Education Learning Mentor offering ongoing support
- regular one-to-one study skills and/or wellbeing sessions
- other College services on a priority basis.
If you need to contact us, please email email@example.com.
More support for you
Young people, foster parents, residential staff and external agencies enquiring on behalf of the Looked After Child or Care Leaver can contact us by:
For more information, contact the Student Support and Wellbeing team on: