Student carers

When referring to further education, young adult carers are those up to the age of 25 who care, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, cannot cope without their support.

Further education and apprenticeships

Prior to starting studies

  • Visits to college and offer of additional college taster sessions
  • Offer of small group enrolment 
  • Meetings arranged with key internal and external teams to complete non-academic assessments

Starting your studies

  • Progress coach to support at enrolment where requested
  • Access to appropriate support and the development of an individual support plan

During your studies

  • Help with student support funds application/s via the progress coach
  • Via student agreement; contact made with the relevant organisations such as the Carers Trust, to establish a working link with external support such as key workers and social workers
  • Action planning to ensure clear expectations of  course requirements
  • Link with progress and senior tutors to support the student
  • Ongoing support, which may include a weekly link, check on attendance and direct links with progress tutors to ensure a 'team around the student' approach
  • Referral and link to specialist internal and external support agencies as required

Higher education

SUCCEED – if you’re studying a degree-level course

SUCCEED is specifically for Care Leavers, carers and students who do not have contact with their families, who are studying at degree level.

Through SUCCEED, these students can access:

  • £1,000 bursary for each year of study
  • dedicated Higher Education Learning Mentor (HELM) offering ongoing support
  • regular one-to-one study skills and/or wellbeing sessions
  • other College services on a priority basis.

If you need to contact us, please email

    More support for you

    Local Authority

    Lancashire County Council

    External agencies

    Contact us

    Further education

    Young people, foster parents, residential staff and external agencies enquiring on behalf of the Looked After Child or Care Leaver can contact us by:

    Higher education

    For more information, contact the Student Support and Wellbeing team.