Blackpool and The Fylde College is 'Outstanding'
Published on 15/11/2013 by news_admin
Blackpool and The Fylde College has been recognised as one of the UK’s leading Colleges after the overall effectiveness of its provision was judged ‘Outstanding’ by national inspection body Ofsted.
It becomes just the third general Further Education College in the UK to receive Grade 1 Outstanding across each of the main areas since a notoriously tough new framework was put into place in September 2012.
In addition to overall effectiveness, B&FC was rated Outstanding for:
- Outcomes for Learners
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment
- Effectiveness of leadership and management
The College’s effective partnership work with local schools and employers across the region, contribution to the local community, high proportion of learners progressing onto employment or higher education, outstanding academic and pastoral support and innovative teaching techniques were all praised during the inspection, which took place from 7-11 October 2013.
Bev Robinson, Principal and Chief Executive, said:
“We are privileged to work with students and partners to enable them to appreciate and realise their full potential. We are extremely pleased that Ofsted has recognised our long standing commitment to students, schools and employers’ remarkable achievements.
“The Ofsted judgement of outstanding is a result of the hard work and support of so many people, not least our dedicated and expert staff, students and partner organisations. It is an accolade the whole community can take pride in and I offer my sincere thanks to all those who contributed to our success.”
Cllr Ivan Taylor, Blackpool Council cabinet member for children's services, said:
"I'm delighted that Blackpool and The Fylde College has been rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted. Having seen the college transform and evolve over many, many years this just confirms what I and many others in the town and beyond already knew. The work the college does in the local community has been outstanding for a long time and this acknowledgement is well deserved. Congratulations should go to the Principal, the governors, the staff and the students."
Other areas highlighted in the inspection report include:
- Success rates for learners aged between 16 and 18, which is the largest group of learners in the college, are outstanding
- Teachers set high expectations for their learners. They use their industrial and professional skills exceptionally well to make lessons interesting and relevant, leading to high-quality learning
- Learners understand the importance of good skills in English and mathematics in helping them to gain employment and succeed
- Many learners win national or international competitions and gain prestigious awards which help them in their applications to university or for employment
- The college provides learners with a host of high-quality enrichment activities that build up their confidence and encourage them to be aspirational in their ambitions
- Through the highly-effective promotion of equality and diversity over a sustained period of time, respect, tolerance for others and inclusiveness permeate the college community
- The learners benefit from working alongside higher education students
The College’s Ofsted report follows glowing praise from the Quality Assurance Agency for its Higher Education provision published in July, when B&FC received more commendations than any other University or other Higher Education establishment in the UK to date.
As the only College in the UK to claim such high accolades for both further and higher level study, Blackpool and The Fylde College is now unrivalled in terms of consistent, high quality education across the board.
Click here to read the full Ofsted report