Who is a Looked After Child or Care Leaver?
At Blackpool and The Fylde College, the definition of a Looked after Child is a person under the age of 18 currently under the care of the local authority; a Care Leaver is someone between 18 and 25 years of age who is still receiving support.
How we support Looked After Children and Care Leavers
Prior to entry into College:
- visits to College and offer of additional College taster sessions
- meetings arranged with key people to complete initial academic and non-academic assessments, which may include specialist support assessment and liaison with the following:
- Social Services
- residential care homes
- foster parents
- virtual high schools
On entry into College:
- access to appropriate support and the development of an individual support plan
While at College:
- contact made with the relevant local authority to request a working link with either the social worker or leaving care advisor and to request the Guaranteed Bursary evidence letter
- contact and link established with the student’s external support, eg residential key worker, foster parent, placement
- completion of the Guaranteed Bursary form (if relevant ie aged 16-18) and arrangement of bus pass/lunch vouchers via the Careers Team (higher education students to arrange financial appointment with team)
- action planning to ensure clear expectations of course requirements
- link with personal tutor and senior tutor to ensure awareness of the needs of the student
- ongoing support, which may include weekly link, check on attendance and direct link with personal tutor
- referral and link to specialist internal and external support agencies as required
SUCCEED – if you’re studying a degree-level course:
SUCCEED is specifically for care leavers, carers and students who do not have contact with their families, who are studying at degree level.
Through SUCCEED, these students can access a £1000 bursary for each year of study, a dedicated Higher Education Learning Mentor offering ongoing support, regular one-to-one study skills and/or wellbeing sessions, and other College services on a priority basis.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
In addition to the above, we are proud of our links with the following external organisations that support Looked After Children and Care Leavers:
For more information, contact the Student Support and Wellbeing Team on:
T 01253 504356