Skip to main content

For Adults (19+)

My bus pass and laptop have been a great help. The bursary is good – it pays for books and other things you might need in College. The Careers and Finance Team fully supported me - I just had to bring some bank details in with evidence of my earnings. Talk to them – they’ll do everything they can to get you what you need.”
Darren Middleton Darren Middleton, Professional Cookery

When out-of-work painter and decorator Darren Middleton decided to train as a chef he needed all the financial support he could get.

Fortunately, the Advanced Learner Loan meant nothing to pay upfront, and Darren also received a laptop, our £60 monthly bursary and a FREE Blackpool Transport travel pass.

Most Level 2 and 3 courses are either free or have no upfront fees to pay

If not, and you’re aged 19 or over studying an eligible level 3 course, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan - with nothing to pay upfront and no repayments until you’re earning at least £25,000 a year.

We also offer financial support you don’t need to pay back.


Non-repayable financial support

Studying towards your dream career has never been more affordable – take a look at what you could be entitled to:

  • £60 monthly bursary payment to help with course-related costs[1]
  • Help with childcare costs[1]
  • Help with accommodation costs (if you need to move away to study)[1]
  • FREE Blackpool Transport travel pass[1]
  • FREE circular bus service linking our Bispham Campus with Poulton-le-Fylde
  • FREE healthy breakfast

[1] Eligibility is based on household income – read our financial support policies here.


Applying for non-repayable financial support

Please use our 19+ Financial Support Application Form to apply for financial support for your course.

If you have any questions about the financial support available, please email


Applying for help with Childcare

If you wish to apply for help with childcare costs, you will also need to complete the the following forms:

Childcare Funding Application Form
Childcare Provider Form 

If you are applying for help with childcare costs for any work placements, you will also need to fill in the Childcare Additional Support for Placements Form.


Support for Ukrainian Refugees

If you have entered the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme or the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme, you may be eligible for financial support in the form of a bus pass worth £400 per year, free meals each day at college, free breakfast at college, financial support for equipment for your course and further support to enable you to attend your course. If you are not sure whether you qualify for this support, please come and speak to us at our 10am Thursday drop-in session at our Seasiders Learning Centre or call us on 01253 504690 and we will be able to advise you.

Advanced Learner Loan

PLEASE NOTE: The Advanced Learner Loan Application Portal opens on 30 May 2023.

If you’re aged 19 or over studying at level 3, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan. Read our Advanced Learner Loan Support Policy here.


Nothing to pay upfront

Getting the Adult Learner Loan doesn’t depend on your household income and there’s no credit check.

There’s nothing to pay upfront and you don’t have to pay anything back until you’re earning over £25,000 a year (for 2023 course start dates).

Even then, you only pay back 9% of what you earn above this amount. After 30 years, your loan is written off entirely.


Roll your loans into one

If you take out an Adult Learner Loan and later go on to do a degree, you can take out a separate student loan for this.

The two loans will then be rolled into one, meaning you only need to make one monthly repayment.

If your Adult Learner Loan is for an Access to Higher Education course and you go on to complete a degree, the ALL gets written off.


Applying for the Adult Learner Loan

You need to apply for your chosen course first.

You will later receive a learning and funding information letter which you will need for your Adult Learner Loan application.

If you don't receive this letter, please contact the Admissions Team.

Call: 01253 504322


Find out more about How to Apply for Advanced Learner Loan.

When you’re ready, apply online at


International students

EU/EEA Citizens

If you are an EU/EEA citizen you will need to bring evidence of your settled / pre-settled status with you to enrol.  At enrolment you can provide us with your share code or evidence of the outcome of your application for the EU Settlement Scheme.


Non EU/EAA Citizens

You will need to bring your passport and current visa with you when you enrol.

Full details of fees and payment information for international students can be found in our International Student Fees Policy.


Devolved Authorities and Funding

If you live in one of the areas listed below you will not be eligible to receive funding on your Further Education course because the authority where you live has received the funding for residents of those areas.  The exception to this is where you are studying a course at Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 and you are taking out an Advanced Learning Loan to pay for your tuition fees.

  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
  • Greater London
  • Greater Manchester
  • Liverpool City Region
  • North of Tyne
  • Sheffield City Region
  • Tees Valley
  • West Midlands
  • West of England
  • West Yorkshire


Contact us

Our advisers are here to help with all aspects of funding:

Call: 01253 504177 (Press Option 1)

Advanced Learner Loan

Simply click on the link below, answer a few questions and find out in minutes if you qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. It could change your life!