English: Language, Literature and Writing - BA Hons Degree

Course Code: VM1HE04
UCAS Code: QQ13

Next available course:

Start DateLocationDuration
10/09/2018University Centre3 YearsApply
09/09/2019University Centre3 YearsApply

Course Overview

The extraordinary success of this innovative three-year programme derives from our cross-discipline approach to the study of English. In this, you are introduced to the analysis of language and literature and encouraged to consider the surrounding issues that distinguish an average text from an outstanding one. Consequently, you are then able to apply these learning points to your own writing. The topics broached on the course promote an understanding of wider social and cultural contexts and deliver a knowledge base broad enough for graduates to be regarded as English specialists.

We provide you with a stimulating, challenging and creative environment in which to explore English in a wide variety of theoretical and practical formats. The programme offers an excellent opportunity to develop skills essential for a range of interesting and rewarding careers including: education, journalism, marketing and public relations, publishing and writing.

Entry Requirements

A variety of learning and teaching methods include lectures, seminars and workshops, which facilitate a lively, stimulating and challenging learning experience.

We will encourage you to adopt a hands-on approach to your learning, constantly reflecting on your progress and setting personal targets to support your development.

A strong focus on collaborative and group work will also help you to develop valuable interpersonal skills such as team working, negotiation and communication.

Timetabled sessions account for 24% of the course, with the remaining 76% assigned to independent study.

Qualification Obtained

BA (Hons) English Language, Literature and Writing

Career Options and Progression

Modules and Assessment

Teaching and Learning Methods

The learning and teaching methodology across the programme is broad and diverse and ranges from an academic approach, where you will attend lectures and seminars, which aim to facilitate stimulating debate centred around a variety of areas. Many of the modules have a workshop element and you will be encouraged to have a hands-on approach to your learning. The course and variety in assessments have been designed to allow you to experiment, be innovative, and challenge the perception of your abilities within a range of English specialisms.

During the programme you will be encouraged to evaluate your progress and development as an English specialist by reflecting on and assessing your achievements at each step of your learning, setting personal objectives and using the feedback that you get from your peers and tutors to target areas of improvement.

You will also be expected to collaborate and engage in group work, you should make the most of these opportunities as they will prepare you for your chosen future career by teaching you valuable interpersonal skills such as team working, negotiation and communication.

 

Percentage of time in different learning activities, by year for this course:

24% time in lectures, seminars and workshops ,76% time in independent study

Work Placement and Field Trips

Expert Tutors

All staff involved in the delivery of higher education courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.

Tuition Fees

Regulation and Accreditation

Terms and Conditions

Programme Handbook

Programme Specification

Download Full Course Details