Creative Sewing and Alternation Workshop
Course Code: VE1EC103
Next available course:
This course is aimed at anyone with an interest in sewing and using creative ideas and techniques to transform garments and produce unique projects for the home. We will cover a variety of techniques using hand and machine stitching to incorporate in an individual project of your choice.
An ideal opportunity to upcycle and recycle your wardrobe or home furnishings.
During the 5 week term you will learn how to complete some of the following tasks to meet all students’ needs:
- Shorten or lengthen an item – this could be a skirt, trousers, sleeves or curtains
- Adjust garment for a better fit
- Create a dart to add shape to a garment
- Add pockets, belts and belt loops
- Insert a zip
- Cover buttons/add buttonholes to create detail
- Design a memory cushion with your favourite pieces of fabric/knitwear
- Construct a variety of small craft items for gifts – scissor holder/table mats/pincushion/shopper/doorst
Learners must be 19 or over. No other specific entry requirements.
Teaching and Learning Methods
You will learn through observation, demonstrations, group work and practical projects, sharing ideas, skills and opinions.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of any courses within the College are approved to teach and/or assess the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering and/or assessing a given programme are appropriately qualified, with relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.