Painting and Decorating - Basic Techniques
Course Code: CP1EC71
This course is three hours per week over 10 weeks and will give you the skills and knowledge to undertake a range of basic decorating techniques at home or for family.
- Learn how to prepare of a variety of surfaces, including Plaster, Timber and Metals effectively, know how to use all tools and materials safely, know the materials to select for the specific tasks.
- Health and safety in Construction trades, know how to work safely
- Working at height regulations, using access equipment safely, following safe working practices
- Applying a variety of surface coatings selecting and using the correct tools.
- Know the wide variety of paint, solvents, and surface coatings to select.
- Select and apply the correct masking tapes, know the difference between them.
You will know:
- How to cut-in (paint to edges) for straight edges and corners.
- How to prepare old and new woodwork ready for undercoat and gloss
- How to paint woodwork using solvent based paints.
- How to use brushes and rollers.
- How to use pasting tables and adhesives safely
- Know how to hang lining paper
- Know how to hang preparatory papers
- A genuine interest in the subject
- Good communication skills
- A hardworking approach
Teaching and Learning Methods
At Blackpool and The Fylde College we recognise that all students learn differently and our tutors work with you to ensure that their teaching methods support the way that you like to learn.
This course consists of 3 hours per week workshop/classroom based learning.
One key teaching and learning method is that of demonstrations. Your tutors ensure that demonstrations are used whenever possible so you can see the practical skill being used so you can then practice the skill.
Following demonstrations, you will then have hands on practical time where you will be implementing the skill learned.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of adult education courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.