B&FC understands its duty to protect all those who could be affected by the work activities being carried out in relation to its business activities.
B&FC will as far as reasonably practicable reduce the workplace risk to a safe level by taking preventative measures in the context of COVID-19.
B&FC's 11 operating principles
1. Make reasonable effort to enable blended working and studying including additional arrangements for these to be carried out safely.
2. Where remote working is not possible or desirable, B&FC will make every reasonable effort to comply with the social distancing guidelines set out by the government (current guidance advises people to stay 2 metres apart or in the exceptional circumstances where this is not possible ‘1 metre plus’ – which is 1 metre plus approved additional mitigations that will help to prevent transmission).
3. In the exceptional circumstances where the social distancing guidelines cannot be followed in full, in relation to a particular activity, B&FC will consider whether that activity needs to continue for the business to operate, and if so, take all the mitigating actions possible to reduce the risk of transmission between its employees and students.
4. Ensure that individuals who have been advised to stay at home under any existing government or local authority guidance do not physically come to work, and provide on-site and home testing in line with government guidance to assist with early detection of asymptomatic cases. Work with Public Health England (PHE) to apply their principles of track and trace for contacts in confirmed cases.
5. Consider everyone in the workplace when applying the guidance. Ensuring that the needs of individuals or groups are given due weight and consideration.
6. Ensure that individuals who may be at an increased risk of symptoms as a result of COVID-19 have enhanced arrangements in place in line with government guidance.
7. Prioritise safety during incidents or emergency situations including the provision of first aid and fire procedures and the provision of information on changes to normal working practices.
8. Minimise unnecessary work travel and visits to or from external parties.
9. Ensure the provision of enhanced cleaning protocols for areas and equipment and, make reasonable efforts to provide sterilisation products for individual or group use to maintain the recommended enhanced hygiene practices.
10. Provide suitable and sufficient provision for hand washing and hand sanitisation.
11. Ensure that all employees, students, contractors and visitors are made aware of B&FC’s COVID-19 related safety procedures and that changes to procedures are communicated to all relevant parties.
B&FC’s Health and Safety team will monitor compliance through sample audit.